WOW Pinoy

Shout it that you're PROUD

Gabi Wilson

Written by Ms. Confuse on Saturday, January 19, 2008


Now 10 yrs. old, Gabriella "Gabi" Wilson has been singing since she was seven. Her father Kenny Wilson is a member of the Urban Bushmen, a local band that we refer to as "The Soul of Vallejo" here at Listen & Be Heard Poetry Café. "They used to practice in the house. I listened a lot. I would learn a song. and then start singing it with the band. The first song I learned was 'If I Ain't Got You'." She learned the song by ear, listening to Alicia Keys sing it. "I used to like to hum to Chaka Khan, Alicia Keys and Mariah Carey. Her mother Agnes Wilson a native Filipina I started taking voice lessons two weeks ago. My vocal teacher's name is Summer at the American Canyon School of Music. It's fun because she teaches me different exercises and to sing from the stomach. I'm taking piano lessons from Mary Ann at the same school. I started to learn to read music. It's really different because I have to look at it. It helps me because if I can read music then I can learn a song without even hearing it."



In the last year her parents have been taking her around to participate in some competitions. At the Sacramento State Fair she took first place in a talent competition. In Las Vegas she won a first place trophy in the singing category for her age group, and has placed in most of the other competitions she has participated in. While making appearances she has also made connections that have landed her some gigs. Opening for Tony Toni Tone at the Oakland Museum gave her an opportunity to meet Duane Wiggins who asked her to play at a birthday party for Keysha Cole.


But for children with starry eyes about singing and playing for the stars, it's not all glamour and VIP treatment. "Every day after school I do my homework, then practice scales on the piano. I practice new songs, listen to songs and see if I can learn them. If I have trouble sometimes my dad helps me. I play guitar too, because my Dad plays. I've been learning basic Blues on guitar, like James Brown. My dad taught me the James Brown chord from "I Feel Good."



We were first introduced to Gabriella at Listen & Be Heard Poetry Café by Alvon, when he invited her to play a few songs during his unplugged concert at the café on December 14. She held the audience entranced with her soulful singing. Her feet just barely reached the pedals of her keyboard, but she gave a rendition of Donny Hathaway's "A Song for You" that was anything but juvenile. It is fitting that she will be giving a concert at Listen & Be Heard Poetry Café not only because we are a family friendly place where parents can feel comfortable bringing their children, but also because she is a poet. “I've been writing poetry since I was six. I love to write a lot, so I decided to write something that rhymes, also fairy tales and mysteries. I wrote a book of poetry. Every day after school I could just go to my desk and start writing." The book is called "Anything on Earth Poems," Published by Life Vest Publishing Inc. she sells the books when she performs, and is currently working on another book with different categories. Agnes Williams, a secretary at Kaiser Vallejo ICU, is a very proud mom. "I'm thankful for who she is now, and how she is with her special talent. She's a very down-to-earth person. She hasn't changed a bit. We try to make sure she still enjoys her childhood even though she's a busy girl. It's time-consuming for me taking her here and there, but it pays off when she is up there performing. My advice to parents who have kids: they have to make sure that they support their kids regardless of what kind of talent they have or whatever they want to do. Just make sure that they help their kids to encourage them to do positive things. If they keep their kids busy doing positive things that will keep them from getting sidetracked."



Gabi's concert will be half solo and half with the Urban Bushmen backing her up, making for a very special night indeed.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ Gabi Wilson ”

Commonly known as nikky and was bestowed the nickname billyboxergirl by her close peers. Age is a myth for time knows no boundaries. Being the proud mommy she is, she wastes her days away trying to perfect the art of human anatomy.

If you want ur ad here, leave a comment and your email add

Enter your email address:

 Subscribe in a reader

Add to Technorati Favorites