WOW Pinoy

Shout it that you're PROUD

Pagulayan is World Pool Masters champ

Written by Ms. Confuse on Monday, May 19, 2008

Alex “The Lion” Pagulayan turned back fellow former world champion Mika Immonen, 8-6, to claim the 2008 PartyPoker.net World Pool Masters yesterday at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

But Pagulayan had to pass an excruciating semifinal match against Francisco “Django” Bustamante, before disposing of his compatriot, 8-4, and set up his final meeting with Immonen.

Still, Pagulayan had to come from behind to turn back the Finn and claim the $20,000 top purse and his first title for the year.

“This was like winning the World Championship for me. I've always wanted it but I've finally broken the ice,” said a jubilant Pagulayan, a stalwart of Puyat Sports and member of the Billiards Managers and Players Association of the Philippines.

After his relatively easy victory over Bustamante, Pagulayan found himself trailing 6-3 against the equally-determined Immonen, who made it to the title showdown after trouncing 18-year-old Taiwanese sensation Ko Pin-yi in their Final-Four match.

But the match had a sudden twist after Immonen committed an illegal break of the 10th rack, where he pocketed a ball but failed to carry two other balls past the headstring. From there Pagulayan cleared the table to gain the necessary momentum, pocketing five consecutive racks for himself.

“This is 9-ball and I couldn't get too upset because I didn't get a chance. I thought if he runs the set, then he runs the set. But I knew that if I get a chance I would need to focus and concentrate and do the best I can,” explained Pagulayan, whose previous best finish in this annual event was a runner-up to Ralf Souquet in 2006.

“I really didn't think I'd win it until the last 9-ball dropped but there were lots of people who like watching me and that was good for me to have that support,” he added.

Immonen settled for the runner-up purse worth $10,000, while Bustamante, who won the tournament in 1998 and 2001, took home $5,000, the same amount received by Ko.

Pagulayan and Bustamante will be joined by Efren “Bata” Reyes as they compete in the Predator International 10-Ball Championship starting also in Las Vegas.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ Pagulayan is World Pool Masters champ ”

Commonly known as nikky and was bestowed the nickname billyboxergirl by her close peers. Age is a myth for time knows no boundaries. Being the proud mommy she is, she wastes her days away trying to perfect the art of human anatomy.

If you want ur ad here, leave a comment and your email add

Enter your email address:

 Subscribe in a reader

Add to Technorati Favorites