WOW Pinoy

Shout it that you're PROUD

Joe Bataan: A Legend in Latin Soul

Written by Ms. Confuse on Monday, September 15, 2008

HE’S often referred to as the “King of Latin Soul,” a musical legend raised in Spanish Harlem New York, who grew up around Puerto Rican gangs and actually learned to play music while serving time in prison.

Bataan Nitollano, better known as Joe Bataan, is a musical pioneer. In his illustrious career, he’s credited for being one of the innovators of SalSoul (Salsa and Latin Soul), Boogaloo, Latin Funk, Latin R&B, and Latin Jazz during the 1960’s and 70’s and produced one of the very first rap and R&B albums in 1980. His daughter, Asia Nitollano, won the television series Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll. And University of Hawaii Professor Dr. Theodore S. Gonzalves has dedicated a class on the impact of Joe Bataan’s music, in "Joe Bataan’s Mestizo Soul" to his students. But few in the greater Filipino community know of this musical trailblazer. So when Joe Bataan and his band performed in front of a large Filipino gathering at the Filipino Performing Arts and Culture (FPAC) event in San Pedro last weekend, it was a homecoming for this legendary performer. "It’s great. I get my chance to see all the Pinoys and Pinays that I don’t get a chance to see back home in New York," said Bataan before his performance. "[FPAC organizer] Winston Emano is responsible for bringing me out here, helping me get a fan base of Asians and Filipinos that I never had. The Latinos, the Blacks, and the Anglos have followed me all over the world. Now, Asians and Filipinos can see one of their own even though I’m mestizo."

"Joe is a legend in Latin Soul music," added Emano, who brought Bataan to perform in his first ever FPAC in 2001. "He’s hugely popular worldwide in fact after performing here he’s going to Paris and he’s doing three sold out shows in France. He’s a gentleman that’s partly Filipino but only a few people knew." Born to a Filipino dad and African-American mother, Joe Bataan was a product of an interracial marriage during a time of extreme segregation. Growing up in New York was tough, he said. He mixed in with the wrong crowd, allegedly stole a car and spent time at a New York correctional facility. However, his time there was a blessing in disguise. A few months after being released, he formed Joe Bataan and the Latin Swingers and thus, began his recording career. Influenced by Latin boogaloo and doo-wop, he recorded his first album "Gypsy Woman" with Fania Records in 1967. He recorded eight more albums for the record group before founding his own record label, Ghetto Records.

By this time, Bataan was making a name for himself. His music was widely popular in the New York Latin scene. His music was different mostly because he sang English lyrics to Latin tunes. In the late 1970’s, Bataan made a big splash when he recorded "Rap-O Clap-O." Not very popular in the US, it was much more appreciated in Europe where the song went top 10 and accredited as the first rap song to make it big in the country. By the 1980’s, Bataan took time off to raise his family. He worked as a counselor and spoke to kids about his experience in the music industry. In 1995, he resurrected his music career. But it wasn’t until 2001, when he performed in front of a large Filipino crowd for the first time, said Emano. "I remember I saw him perform in New York in the late 1990’s and I was one of less than a handful of Filipinos in the crowd," recalls Emano. "When I found out that Joe was Filipino I had to bring him to FPAC." Bataan said he never hid where he came from. Many people in the music industry knew about the "Afro-Filipino" singing Latin soul in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Bataan said that playing in front of a large crowd of Filipinos is especially gratifying in a more personal reason. "My father would have been proud," said Bataan. "My father was Filipino (from Manila) and I remember all the Filipinos would come to my house, [and] talk Tagalog. I didn’t understand it and my mother was Black. My father gave me information about the Philippines. He always wanted to go back home. He never got a chance to so I want to do that for him." He said performing in front of a large Filipino crowd gives him "a sense of belonging. It’s like you’re really coming home and it’s something that I missed out on for a great part of my life," he said. "It’s like I’ve been in the wilderness for so long. Growing up, I wasn’t totally accepted by the Latino population, I mean they supported me, but as far as being an integral part of that culture I wasn’t. I grew up around them; most of my friends are Latino. Then the Black situation, I was never considered totally black. "I know I’m never going to be considered totally Filipino but I am," he added. "I may look different but I got Filipino blood in me and you’re not going to change that." In a way, he said, it’s ironic that Filipinos are now embracing his career. "It must be for a reason God has something in store for me," he said.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ Joe Bataan: A Legend in Latin Soul ”

Commonly known as nikky and was bestowed the nickname billyboxergirl by her close peers. Age is a myth for time knows no boundaries. Being the proud mommy she is, she wastes her days away trying to perfect the art of human anatomy.

If you want ur ad here, leave a comment and your email add

Enter your email address:

 Subscribe in a reader

Add to Technorati Favorites